The Bowen Basin Geologists’ Group hosted the 5 yearly 2015 Bowen Basin Sympsoium at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre from the 7th – 9th October 2015. After 3+ years of planning more than 550 delegates and 41 exhibitors attended the event over the 3 days. In addition the event hosted 100 school students from Brisbane and South East Qld studying Earth Science who were able to hear from industry and research personnel and visit trade displays.
The 2015 Symposium had a packed technical and social programme including keynote speakers, workshops, research presentations, “Icebreaker” meet and greet and a Gala Dinner featuring Winter Olympics gold medallist Steven Bradbury as MC for the evening. 40 technical papers from a range of topics relevant to the coal industry were selected to present at the event. Of those that presented at the Symposium University of Qld PhD student Laura Phillips won best presentation for her work “Rationalising the Late Permian coal seam stratigraphy of the Koburra Trough, Galilee Basin”. For her efforts Laura won a magnificent framed photograph featuring Hancock Gorge in Karajini National Park (Western Australia). This prize was kindly donated by MD Geology. The research papers have now been collated and published in the 2015 Bowen Basin Sympsoium event proceedings volume. The Keynote Address presentation “King Coal” by Emeritus Professor Ian Plimer is now available for download via the BBGG Website (see Publications tab to the left).
Despite the current industry downturn the event received great support from a wide range of sponsors which enabled event registration costs to be kept as low as possible making it one of the best value conferences of 2015. This was reflected in the strong attendance numbers from both Queensland and NSW based delegates and consequently was a great networking opportunity. The Symposium committee wishes to thank the event sponsors and exhibitors, paper reviewers, workshop and research presenters, hardworking volunteers and all those who contributed to making the event a success over the 3 days. In addition the support of the Coal Geology Group (Geology Society of Australia), AUSIMM Geoscience Society, Australian Institute of Geoscientists is gratefully acknowledged. The next Bowen Basin Symposium will be held in 2020.
2015 Bowen Basin Symposium Organising Committee
2015 Bowen Basin Symposium Exhibition Hall with Trade Displays
Earth Science Students Visiting Geophysical Logging Truck Trade Display at the 2015 Bowen Basin Symposium
The Leichhardt Award was conferred on Professor Joan Esterle at a dinner at Heritage Village, Rockhampton. The award dinner followed the first day’s proceedings of the joint ACARP-BBGG meeting recently held at Central Qld University on 7-8th July, 2015. The award recognises Joan’s longstanding contribution to advances in coal geology research through her association and leadership within BBGG / ACARP / CSIRO and the University of Qld. As an educator Joan has been a “teacher, coach, mentor, trainer, guide, challenger, advisor and gentle-cajoler to an innumerable number of students and coal geologists during her career in Queensland”. Her 2015 Leichhardt Award citation is as attached.
Many thanks to ACARP, Central Qld University, Velseis, Geoconsult and the Coal Geology Group for their continued support of this event.
Previous winners of the Leichhardt Award are listed below:
- 2001 QCAT CSIRO Exploration and Mining Division (meeting held at, and award made at Maraboon Tavern, Emerald)
- 2003 Gary Fallon (meeting held at CQU Gladstone, award made at Gladstone Sailing Club)
- 2005 John Draper (meeting held at CSIRO QCAT, award made at St Lucia Golf Course)
- March 2007 Peter Goscombe (meeting held at CQU Rockhampton, award made at Rockhampton Heritage Village)
- July 2009 Lance Grimstone (meeting held at CQU Rockhampton, award made at Rockhampton Heritage Village)
- July 2011 Jim Beeston (meeting held at CQU Rockhampton, award made at Rockhampton Heritage Village)
- July 2013 Andrew Willson (meeting at CQU Mackay, award made at BURP Restaurant Mackay)
BBGG 2015 SYMPOSIUM – 7-9th OCTOBER 2015
BRISBANE CONVENTION & EXHIBITION CENTRE, MERIVALE ST, BRISBANE QLD, AUSTRALIA
2015 BOWEN BASIN SYMPOSIUM REGISTRATIONS NOW OPEN !! THE LINK IS: www.bbsymposium.com.au
One of the Resource industry’s best value technical events for 2015 which includes:
- Workshops, Industry Booth Displays and Symposium Dinner
- Addition details available at the Bowen Basin Sympsoium website
- Click on the “Register Now” button and complete your registration & payment details
• Many thanks to Syeda Areeba Ayaz – (PhD Fellow at University of Queensland) who recently presented her research findings at the recent joint BBGG/ AIG joint meeting on 15th of July, 2014 . The presentation entitled “CONFIRMING STRATIGRAPHY THROUGH TEPHROCHRONOLOGY – LATE PERMIAN FORT COOPER AND EQUIVALENT COAL MEASURES, BOWEN BASIN” provoked a lot of discussion amongst those who attended with the results to be published in the near future.
• Also many thanks to Tom Simpson and Rod Carlson from the AIG who ran the meeting and arranged the venue.
Successful Quarterly Meeting at the Baralaba Coal Mine Central Queensland – 1/10/2014
A total of around 40 people attended the BBGG Quarterly Meeting held at Baralaba on Wednesday 1st of October 2014. After meeting at the Baralaba Bowls Club for registration and a technical meeting the group then proceeded to the Baralaba Coal Mine for a tour of the operations. Many thanks to Richard Punt, Alex Bell and Victoria Treacy and others from Cockatoo Coal for presenting and organising the day. Thanks are also extended to Alex Duran from Pells Sullivan Meynink for giving an insight into the geotechnical challenges on site. David Green from GEMS was also able to update the group on recent advances in Coal Log. Cockatoo Coal is thanked for its support of the event. Photos and information relating to the day are available via the “Publications” tab on the home page.
We’re sorry. You do not have permission to access this page. Please sign up to be granted access.